If you’re looking for some sweet treats to make this season, you have to try Apple Crisp! This has been deemed my favorite dessert for years! Just add some Ice-cream and caramel on top and you have yourself the best dang dessert that I bet you’ve ever tasted. I promise, you won’t regret it! It’s also super easy and fun to make! Here’s a friendly step by step recipe to get you started!
- 4medium tart cooking apples, sliced (4 cups)
- 3/4cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
- 1/3cup butter, softened
- 3/4teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Cream or Ice cream, if desired
And don’t forget! The best apples to make apple crisp with are on this list below!
- Golden Delicious
- Granny Smith
- Pink Lady
I’m not a huge fan of peeling apples, but my Mastrad Peeler makes the process go by much quicker and easier! You can order yours at the website below. https://mastrad-paris.us/collections/kitchen-tools-utensils/products/elios-peelers-x-3
Pro Tip: you can use an assortment of apples and even combine sweet and tart apples.
How to Make Apple Crisp
- Prep – Butter a rectangular dish, preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Cut Apples – peel, core and slice apples into 1/4″- thick pieces, transfer to a bowl, and toss with 2 Tbsp lemon juice.
- Coat Apples – in a bowl, combine flour, sugar, and cinnamon then sprinkle over apples and stir to coat. Transfer to buttered casserole dish.
- Topping – In a mixing bowl, combine the dry topping ingredients: flour, oats, both sugars, cinnamon, and salt. Add diced softened butter and use your hands to stir in the butter until pea-sized crumbs form throughout. Spread topping evenly over your apples.
- Bake – place on the center rack in the oven and bake uncovered for 45-50 minutes until bubbling at the edges.
- The best way to serve apple crisp is to spoon a portion onto a plate while it’s still warm and top with a generous scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. The ice cream will melt slightly into the crisp and the combination of flavors is so satisfying.
- Room Temperature – store apple crisp covered at room temperature for a day but refrigerate leftovers beyond that.
- To Refrigerate – once apple crisp is at room temperature, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3-5 days.
- To Reheat – apple crisp is best served warm. You can reheat the chilled crisp in the microwave just until heated through or reheat in the oven at 350˚F for about 15 minutes.